Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#14 Father, Son and Holy spirit of bad decisions

I'll be the first to say it, this is a weird one, but it's just what came to mind.  Thank you to the friendly cashier. You work at what is probably one of the shittiest 24 hour mcdonalds locations in the united states and you were totally civil to all those assholes ahead of me. 




A Toast to Heritage
An Irish emblem weighs against my breastbone,
a small comfort of generations and a reminder
of strength and values always
there to support me
with the force of Irish tea coursing through 
my veins and the Guinness coursing through
my father's and his.
The small circle of metal leads to 
A map of Ireland created by the freckles all over my
face and my hair
burns red in the sun
daring the world to awaken the 
Irish temper pent up carefully inside.
The Celtic cross sleeps against my chest as
I sit in a church pew for the tradition of it,
just to keep some religion in my soul and remain connected to 
all the other skeptical Irish doing the same.
The Irish are supposed to have control over the spoken language,
spinning yarns out of threads and
piecing together rains of thoughts as green as their fields,
but have no concept of expressing emotions.
Borrowing songs and stories to reflect 
the inside it seems, hiding beneath the proud,
look the other way exterior and teaching
through heroes and legends
They tell these tales in a borrowed language they can't give back,
the English forcing Irish from schools and 
anglicizing it into Gaelic for the world,
this being a lesser of the anglican problems 
plaguing 
the country with rules, repression, rebellion,
in their past.
But from it, a flag with a color for unity
rose to wave over a divided island
 and when an orange shamrock
makes me incredibly angry,
or when I celebrate the Easter Rising 
while most can't tell the date from another day
i know this Irish heart beats as 
wildly as my rain curled hair tangles
and that mine is a past of
neart agus áilleacht 
(strength and beauty)
 paisean agus faisnéis
(passion and intelligence)
 agus grá na hÉireann
(and a love of Ireland)
that will never leave me
and that I will never let die.

No comments:

Post a Comment