Tuesday, December 6, 2011

#6 Los Angeles

Cardboard shadow puppets with ambient desk lamp lighting. Thanks to my mom for sending me this cool rice paper used in this effect. 



Ignorance burns my eyes like sulfur rain
causing tears to scorch my skin
as every muscle twists into agonizing knots 
tremors and shakes overtake my arms
as i look at those laying under the tree of life
and sowing the seeds of hate that
choke its roots and wilt 
its mighty bow. While I stand helplessly shaking
like its leaves in the 
passing breeze, as soft as a last breath and as barely audible.
Did you know that this day and this age still
contains enough hate and misunderstanding
to force us back
and submerge us beneath the cascading waves 
of a history book, its pages burying us alive and delivering us to
a place i thought we'd
walked triumphantly hand in hand
Person to Person
there was a dream that we'd have reached a better place.
There was a hope of change. 
But the bubble burst and 
tears flood freely from my eyes.
A fist of iron wrenches between my ribs
driving all air from the pouches that sound should 
blaze from, words that should scream down the wall of 
injustice, hate, and disrespect
until i'm hoarse and sore, liberated and enlightened
free from the bondage of the twine 
that ignorance has wound around the hearts of so many, the words
 stick in my throat and 
choke me.
Tradition doesn't mean right, i gasp in a whisper to the wind
a ripple into the pond
disturbing the calm and causing a wrinkle and a second thought.
The whisper carries by the old gnarled tree and a leaf picks up
the message and turns to the golden one to its left
and whispers again
then the tree lifts its head and stretches a limb.
One step at a time, and one day at a time 
we struggle to educate. and hope through the sick feeling 
rolling our stomachs and tumbling our minds 
that one day, a hope against hope but what else is left,
one more will understand.

1 comment:

  1. not sure if my post came through, but this is my very favorite.

    ReplyDelete